Introducing the Pythagorean Theorem - with STARBURSTS!


Another one of my favorite activities - so of course it must involve food :) I have done this introductory lesson every year for the last 5 years with my students, and I finally am getting around to blog about it! 

 

I start by having students create a right triangle with sides 3, 4, and 5. I introduce the vocabulary words leg & hypotenuse, and what sides are labeled a, b, and c. Then, I have students create squares out of the 3 sides. I tell them there is a special relationship between the squares, and leave them to figure it out! Sometimes I will have to prompt them by telling them that it has to do with the two smaller squares and the larger squares. After a couple minutes of playing around with the starbursts, usually a student can figure out that the two smaller square together create the larger square! 



I've also done this activity with linking cubes! Any small square object that you have a lot of would work great. You could even cut out squares from colored paper/card stock. 


I have had several other teachers on my campus ask me for details on this lesson, so I finally created a scaffolded worksheet to walk through each step of this lesson. It also has space for students to label the important parts of a right triangle, summarize the Pythagorean Theorem, and write down the formula. It is perfect for interactive notebooks! You can find it here or by clicking on the image below! 



Comments

Popular Posts