Interpreting Slope from Graphs Matching



Anyone else's kids have a hard time interpreting graphs? I know mine to - and sometimes it's because the graphs can be so tricky! 

We recently introduced slope in my 8th grade math classes, and I've been trying to especially stress this year that slope can be represented in multiple ways. I made this sort to solidify that knowledge, and to practice finding the slope when the numbers are not clear. 

I pulled small groups of 3-5 at a time for this activity, because like I said I know it can be tricky (and I purposefully made this activity tricky). The first thing I did was give them a sheet with 4 graphs on it. I had them find the slope as rise over run, and then convert it to a decimal so that they could see two ways to represent the slope right there. We talked about what each slope represented based on the title & labeled axes, and how the decimal made more sense at least in the kit kat graphs, because you use decimals to talk about cost of kit kats rather than fractions! 


Once everyone had the correct slopes, I gave everyone the cards with different statements about the slopes to convert. They really had to look at their slopes carefully to tell the difference between some of these cards. 

I was really happy with how this activity turned out. They get so good at finding the rise over run for slope from a graph, that they forget to stop and think about what it actually means and represents. This got them to do just that!

*** Update June 2020 - A google slides version of the activity is now available***

Comments

Popular Posts